Wednesday, November 08, 2006

WBW #27: Icewine and the election

Yesterday, I realized with shock that we were only one day away from Wine Blogging Wednesday and I didn't have any wine that would satisfied this month's theme. Luckily, I found something appropriate at my local BevMo! store, thinking that it would be a nice wine to sip later in the evening while watching the election results.

This month, our host is The Kitchen Chick and she has asked us to taste an ice wine. The wine that I found was the 2004 Jackson-Triggs Proprietor's Reserve Vidal Icewine, a Canadian wine from the Niagara Peninsula. The winery's website indicates that for the 2004 vintage, the grapes were harvested between December 27th and January 15th at 39.5º Brix (compared to 22º-24º Brix for a dry wine). The varietal is Vidal Blanc a French hybrid that excels particularly well in cold regions and can survive freezing temperatures.

So we did sip our icewine while watching the election results. The wine was incredibly sweet, one of the sweetest wines I had ever tasted, although the its sweetness was nicely balanced by a high acidity that gave the wine an unctuous but refreshing aftertaste. Overall, I liked its texture and its zingy acidity but found it somewhat neutral in terms of aromas. Anyway, I was pretty happy with my icewine when it was time to raise our glass in honor of Nancy Pelosi, first woman ever Speaker of the House.

Technorati tags::

2 comments:

Marcus said...

Catherine, I'm from Niagara and I have to say that those election results of yours made me feel like uncorking a Mumm Napa!

Anonymous said...

Hello Catherine. Thanks for participating. I visit Niagara Peninsula often and always stop at least one winery. I'll have to add the Jackson-Triggs winery to my list of places to visit.