Tuesday, March 07, 2006

2001 Givry Premier Cru Clos de la Servoisine Domaine Joblot

Givry is a small village in Burgundy and one of the best appellations of the Côte Chalonnaise. It used to be famous as the preferred wine of King Henri IV but later suffered a decline following the destruction of the vineyard by phylloxera and two World Wars. Today, Givry offers some of the best values in Burgundy.

I don't know the origin of the word Servoisine but for me it rhymes with Framboisine, a dessert made with raspberries. So I was not surprised when, as I was opening the 2001 Givry Premier Cru Clos de la Servoisine Domaine Joblot , I detected lovely raspberry liqueur aromas in the wine. In the glass, the wine had a medium ruby color and a perfumed nose of raspberry and blackcurrant. On the palate, it was smooth, smoky and fruity with some lively acidity. This wine was simply delicious with our braised short ribs.

Some people believe that the plants that grow next to a vineyard can contribute to the taste of the wine made from that vineyard. I will not be surprised to learn that they grow raspberries in the Clos de la Servoisine.

Technorati tags:

No comments: